The act or the action of expelling the impurities i.e. vitiated Doshas through the upper
channel is known as Vamana (emesis). In Panchakarma, before performing any other karma, “Vamana Karma” has to be done first. The reason behind keeping Vamana ahead of Virechana is that, if Virechana is executed without Vamana, it causes the heaviness or might produce Pravahika because the provoked Kapha descends to Grahani and covers it.
The best line of treatment for the Kaphaja disorders is Vamana Karma which is the
first measure amongst Panchakarma.
Sushruta asserts that just like the flower, fruits and branches, which are destroyed at
once as soon as the mother tree is rooted out, the diseases originated due to excessive
Kapha are subdued after the elimination of Kapha through the process of Vamana. To prevent oneself from Kasa (cough), Upalepa (stickiness in the throat), Swarabheda (hoarseness of voice), Atinindra (sleepiness), Tandra, Aasya Daurgandhya (foulsmell in mouth), Kapha Praseka, Visha Upasarga (afflictions produced because of toxins) and Grahani dosha, a person should timely undergo vamana karma. According to Ayurvedic classics, Vamana procedure is specified for the expulsion ofKapha Dosha. Kapha Dosha is exasperated in Vasant Rutu; hence, Vamana is specified in spring season roughly in the month of March and April.
The main procedure can be classified as:
- Purva Karma
- Pradhana Karma
- Pashchata Karma
Purva Karma (Pre-operative preparation)
Pachana and Deepana (digestives and appetizers)
Before starting snehapana Deepana and Pachana drug are given to increase Jatharagni
and lightness of body.
Pachana dravya like Trikatu Churna, PanchakolaChurna, Agnitundi Vati, Chitrakadi Vati etc. can be used for this purpose.
Abhyantara Snehana (internal oleation)
Shuddha Ghrita or Siddha Ghrita give in increase dose for three to Seven days as per the
requirement till achieving the signs and symptoms of proper Snehana.
First day ‑ 50 ml
Second day ‑ 100 ml
Third day ‑ 150 ml
Fourth day ‑ 200 ml, and so on, not beyond seven days.
Abhyanga (massage) and Swedana (fomentation)
After Abhyantara Snehana on next day, do Abhyanga with Tila Taila followed by Sarvanga
Swedana. Dietetic guidelines during Purva Karma Diet during the days of Snehapana Individuals are advised to intake ample amount of liquid and warm food, easy to digest mixed with little fat. It is neither sticky nor complex. Also one is instructed to drink lukewarm water. Diet on previous day of Vamana Heavy diet like plenty of milk, curd, sweets and Khicadi made from black gram recommended to an individual.
Pradhana Karma (Induction of Vamana):
- Induced Vamana in the early morning.
- Ask the patient to sit in a comfortable Vamana chair of the height of knee joint.
- Record Pulse and blood pressure before, during and after the Vamana Karma.
- Ask the patient to drink milk full of stomach (Aakanthapana)
- Then give the Vamana Yoga to the patient.
- Keep a wide mouth vessel ready to collect the vomitus.
- Then instruct the patient to vomit without straining.
- The urge may be excited by opening wide the lips, the palate, the throat and by
slightly bowing the upper part of the body.
- The dormant urge may be excited by tickling the throat with two well manicure
- In the course of emesis when actual bout is being thrown out, forehead and chest of
the patient is held, umbilical region of the patient is pressed and back of the patient is
gently massaged in upward direction.
- According to the classical texts, evaluate the Vamanabased onPravara (highest),
Madhyama (moderate) and Hina(lowest) Shuddhi (cleansing).
Pashchata Karma (Post-operative care)
- Keep the patient under observation After Vamana Karma and put the patient on special
diet until they achieve Agnideepti and Bala.
- Advise Dhumapana and Gandusha after Samyaka Vamana.
- Wash mouth, hands and feet after Vamana and take rest for an hour.
- Advise to avoid loud speeches, sitting or standing in one position for long duration,
excessive walk, excessive rage or excessive depression, exposure to excessive cold, heat,
dew, to flowing winds, long journey, night waking, day sleep, to retain or provoke urges.
Frequently, untimely, excessive, less, contradictory and also avoid heavy diet.
Samsarjana Krama: (special dietetic schedule)
1st day – Thin rice gruel without spices and fat once a day.
2nd day – Thick rice gruel without spices and fat twice a day.
3rd day – Rice and liquid soup of green gram and rice without
spices and fat twice a day in moderate quantity.
4th day – Liquid soup of green gram and rice with spices and fat
twice a day in moderate quantity.
5th day – Normal diet
6th day – Normal diet
7th day – Normal diet
- Hina – 3-4 Vega
- Madhyama – 5-6 Vega
- Pravara – 7-8 Vega
- Hina – 1 Prastha
- Madhyama – 1 ½ Prastha
- Pravara – 2 Prastha